Definitely the generator.  Harbor Freight?  4 kW into a 4 kW charger?  What's the altitude?   I believe that 4 kW generator is actually only 3.5 kW continuous rated.   By the time you derate for altitude, and then account for the generator not being built to be a prime power unit, its probably reasonable to derate it 50%.  Then yet another thing,  those gennies are 240/120 so you only get half the rated power at 120 vac, and it unbalances the load on the generator.  Is that Conext 240/ 120 or just 120vac ?

Its just going to be a head ache for everyone until they buy something much better.  They really need something in the 6.5 kW to 9 kW range, and 240 to 120 transformer if the Conext is not the 240/120 model, so that the generator is loaded evenly.

Ray Walters
Remote Solar
303 505-8760