Friends:

This situation is as yet unresolved.  It is complicated enough I created a web
page
<https://millersolar.com/MillerSolar/case_studies/36_SIFortress/36_SunnyIslandFortressIntegration.html>
to describe the scenario so I did not have to explain it over and over.  I
submitted this to Fortress tech support.  They said they had likely not
tested the Fortress compatibility with SI in an AC-Coupled system.

While Fortress technicians and/or engineers ponder the situation I am
brainstorming solutions.  One idea is to convert to a DC coupled system.
DC Charge controllers will have intrinsically better voltage control.  The
charge controller most likely suitable is the Schneider 600 volt 100 amp
unit.  I would need two of them.  It is compatible with the existing string
wiring.  In researching it many questions came up about that product’s
suitability.  There is an integration guide for a Schneider system and
Fortress but this would be a mixed system of Schneider and SMA.  Would I be
able to apply closed loop communication to both systems?  Could the charge
controllers work in open loop?  Has anyone tried anything like this?

I will keep you apprised.

William Miller

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422