Jay,  there are three major utilities in CA. I don’t know much about LADPW
nor SDGE.
     PGE executes demand charges depending on the ‘rate schedule’ applied
to a specific meter. Customers can request to change their rate schedule,
sometimes with significant financial savings just doing that.
   My understanding is that they go by 15 minute intervals for demand
charges. In fact if the demand exceeds the threshold for just 15 minutes,
the demand charge applies as if the load had been that high for the entire
month.
  Caveat: I’m more of an engineer than a policy and sales guy.