Is expanding the tarball really necessary? It looks like one can just attach a binary so it probably isn't necessary to mess with putting all the contents of it in to the branch.
It don't think it's that messy if we make a script that does the whole thing. The resulting tarball looks better without an extra layer of packaging. And more important, some users/maintainers might have an installation script which relies on the structure of tarball.

I experimented a bit and here is the result <https://github.com/skvadrik/re2c/releases>. Those starting with "release-" are not important (they are automatically fabricated from tags in master). The single real release is '0.13.6' in (from tag '0.13.6' in branch release). Clicking it will lead to downloading 're2c-0.13.6.tar.gz', which is identical to that one on sourceforge.

Not bad?
I tried visiting re2c.org <http://re2c.org>, and it looks like the dns is resolving correctly but there's something incorrect about the github setup. It returns a 404 not found page. I think we need to create a CNAME file as described on https://help.github.com/articles/adding-a-cname-file-to-your-repository/
Yes! I'm sorry, just completely forgot about it. Fixed already. :)