Kartik Agaram <a...@akkartik.com>
> >   myfunction(:option1 f(a), :option2 g(b), :option3 h(c))
>
> I'd also be ok with writing:
>
>   myfunction(:option1 (f a) :option2 (g b) :option3 (h c))

Okay, that's already a perfectly acceptable modern-expression.

> Have y'all been trying to avoid mixing traditional lisp with modern-exps?

No, not at all.  Feel free to use traditional lisp, whenever it's suitable!  It
works just fine.

We've been doing a lot of experimentation, and pressing various notations as
"far as they will go" to maximize readability.  So you'll certainly see us try
some odd things on occasion.  And in general, I find function-name-first more
readable when it's actually a function call; it's traditional math notation &
what is used in many other programming languages.

> If you got rid of backquote support, then commas would be freed up, and I'd
> just be able to write:
> myfunction(:option1 f(a), :option2 g(b), :option3 h(c))

Commas already have a meaning in Lisps when at the beginning.  A few people
have indeed experimented with allowing "," at the end of symbols (basically
ignoring them) - see my older stuff if you want citations.  The problem is that
the commas are really hard to see when they're also at the beginning; compare:
myfunction(f(a), g(b), h(c), j(d))
with:
myfunction(f(a), g(b), ,h(c), j(d))

The "quote-space" being different from "quote" is inherited from Scheme
SRFI-49, but I actually think it's a good idea.  Here's the thing - imagine
that you start with:
a b c
.  d e
.  f g

Now you need to quote it.  By inserting quote-space in the front, you've easily
quoted the whole thing:
' a b c
.  d e
.  f g

Note that this is completely different from quoting just the first symbol (a),
which would be:
'a b c
.  d e
.  f g

The leading "," rule is there for the same reasons, as well as consistency.
This is something we've been discussing recently.

--- David A. Wheeler