In kernel.scm and unsweeten, we currently try to figure out what we're running
on (in particular, which version of guile if it's guile).  Then we try to make
it *run* on that platform, and also try to conform to that platform's oddities.

I think we should split those up; there's no reason we can't run on something,
yet support a different set of extensions while reading.  Instead, I think
there should be a "flavor" option that lets a user select variations involving
how the reader interprets input (primary what happens after "#").

My initial motivation is to support a naive Common Lisp processor while using
the code we have. If we can support a mode where #'x is (function x), and
carefully output some long names (quasiquote unquote unquote-splicing) as
abbreviations (` , ,@), I think we can handle a remarkably large proportion of
Common Lisp code with what is basically a Scheme reader.  Just let people use
"unsweeten -C" to enable "Common Lisp" mode.  It'd also let people try the code
out before it's ported to their preferred implementation.

Thoughts?

--- David A. Wheeler