On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 23:46:44 +0100, Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_...@web.de>
wrote:
> ... Yes, if you know
> all the sweet syntax, quite a few code snippets will likely look more
> readable than those in wisp. But the additional syntax elements
> provide a high barrier for learning, because they require retraining
> the eyes.

I think that's a trade worth making. More syntax *does* take more
training, but if you look at a lot of code, then that additional syntax
can pay back large dividends.

> > "Less bad" is not exactly a high aspiration :-).
>
> It’s a different trade-off: Simplicity against less rough edges.

> > Of course, this why I decided to NOT have all lines begin a function call
> > in sweet-expressions.
> > Both sweet-expressions and I-expressions (SRFI-49) have a different
> > semantic, because it
> > seems to be "what humans assume" in practice.
>
> It’s what lisp and scheme do, but for example it isn’t what the shell
> does. I agree that lisp and scheme programmers tend to assume this,
> but I don’t think that it is right for indentation-based scheme. But
> since this is the main forking point between sweet and wisp, I guess
> it isn’t a point which can be changed by argument ☺

Fair enough :-).

> It comes down to personal preferences: The weight we give to different
> aesthetic aspects of programming languages. For me, the syntactic
> simplicity is one of the main selling points of lisp and scheme, and
> sweet departs from that by adding more than the absolute minimum of
> the required syntax elements for creating a general, indentation-based
> representation of scheme-code.

Neither Scheme nor Common Lisp are so simple to parse once you
consider their full generality (e.g., number types).

> The cost I pay for that is that there will be code snippets which will
> look less elegant in wisp than in sweet. You could say, that they look
> less sweet ☺

> Best wishes,
> Arne

You too!  I view this as a friendly competition.
We both agree that there's a need for a Lisp syntax that is
general and homoiconic, and that indentation can help.
We differ on how to best exploit that, that's all.

Thanks.

--- David A. Wheeler