>From a post from Johnny
Cast Iron Cleaning Tip

I  know all of the readers use at least some cast iron cookware
and certainly  every one of you has had to deal with a skillet,
cornbread skillet, or dutch  oven that has been well "over-cooked"
and is truly grungy and difficult to  deal with.......and, for "difficult"
I mean that cleaning it without ruining  your current valuable and
closely guarded "seasoning."

Try this  6-point procedure: 1) Remove most of the baked-on grunge
with a large spoon  or spatula. 2) start an overnight soak by filling the
pot with cold water.  3) Next morning, pour the water out and spray
liberally with "Pam" or any  oil spray you have on hand. 4) Soak for a
few minutes. 5) Then, attack  aggressively with a stiff brush or better
yet, a "wok brush," essentially  using the oil spray as your cleaner.

When all the bits are loosened, rinse with cold water, wipe with a  paper
towel to ensure it is clean, spray another shot of your oil, wipe gently
again and store. It will be shinning and at-the-ready for your next use.....and
 your "seasoning"
will not be affected.
Hugs,Janet