Dear all, Kumarangk issues are heating up again Dean _______________ Transcript of Advertiser articles Thursday August 12 1999 The Advertiser [Front page - only article - colour photo of Tom and Wendy Chapman looking gleeful standing in front of artists impression of the bridge] BRIDGE TAKES A FINAL TOLL: Motorists, taxpayers to foot the bill by Miles Kemp and Leonie Mellor Photo caption: Optimistic: Wendy and Tom Chapman last night with a sketch of the proposed bridge _________ Taxpayers will spend at least $12 million so the controversial Hindmarsh island bridge can finally be built. Then motorists will pay a toll - South Australia's first road toll in 152 years - to use the bridge, although the amount has not been decided. In a deal struck with developers Tom and Wendy Chapman, the State Government has settled a leagal battle and set October as the date for construction to start. Announcing the deal yesterday, the Attorney General, Mr Griffin said: "The time for litigation is passed .... the laws of Australia, having been ruled on at the highest level, now allow this to be built. It is time to look forward to the benefits the bridge and Hindmarsh Island marina extensions will bring to the South Coast region through increased tourism and business opportunities." Under the deal, the Governement will pay for the bridge, plus a further $2.37 million towards the Chapmans'private marina development on the island. The settlement comes almost eight years after the then premier, Mr John Bannon, announced the Government was committed to the bridge and five years after the then federal minister for Aboriginal Affairs, Mr Robert Tickner, banned its construction because of "secret women's business". The deal will end a compensation bid by the Chapmans, who claimed the State Government had a legal liability to build the bridge. Mrs Chapman said the decision "says 'yes' to sensible, responsible development. It must surely have been one of the longest-running sagas in the development history of this nation," she said. "We can now be enthusiastic and optimistic about our future." Mr Griffin described the negotiations as "tough" but Mrs Chapman said they had been "amicable". Mr Griffin defended the deal despite plans by the Chapmans to go ahead with a $25 million damages claim against the Federal Government. He refused to guarantee the bridge would proceed, saying: "The ingenuity of the legal profession knows no bounds". Mr Griffin said he did not know the total cost of the development to taxpayers but outlined a total of $12 million . [continued page 6] [Page 6] BRIDGE TAKES FINAL TOLL These include: $9 MILLION to construct the bridge - a $3 million increase on the original proposal $2.37 MILLION for the marina development $22,000 for the Chapmans' legal costs $ 340,000 to settle a liability involving the Westpac Bank In addition: ALL capital works on crown land will be paid by the State Government. CAPITAL works on Council land will be paid by the Alexandrina Council. THE State Government will pay to fight any further legal actions against the bridge and deal with environmental and Aboriginal cultural damage claims. Mr Griffin said there would be ongoing consultation with Aboriginal people, the Alexandrina Council and the local council over the bridge. He said the toll was yet to be set, but Island residents would be exempt. The first since tolls were lifted on the Mt Barker Road 152 years ago, it will be created by a bill he will put to Paliament. The Alexandrina Council said Mr griffin had not told them about the deal. "We reject outright the collection of any toll for use of the bridge," mayor Mr Kym McHugh said. The Ngarrindjeri people's lawyer, Mr Stephen Kenny said: "I am surprised again by the lack of consultation by the Government and the Attotney-General in particular. The only consultation it appears this Government understands is to send the police out to start speaking to individual Ngarrindjeri people in an attempt to limit the protest that will follow the decision." He said the Ngarrindjeri people were "totally disgusted" by the decision. Ngarrindjeri elder, Mr Tom Trevorrow, said the decision to build the bridge showed reconciliation in SA had "flowed out of the Murray Mouth and into the ocean". In relation to the Aboriginal community, Mr Griffin conceded: "There has been very limited consultation so far." The Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union - which was central to protests against the bridge - would not comment on whether it would resume opposition to the project. "We'll just see what happens,"said CFMEU State secretary Mr Martin o'Malley. [end of article] _________________________________ The Advertiser p6 black and white photo of Paul Joseph with ferry in back ground RESIDENTS PROTEST AT PAYING TO CROSS by James Wakelin and Leonie Mellor photo caption: Opponent: Hindmarsh Island resident Mr Paul Joseph near the existing ferry landing yesterday Goolwa residents are angry at the State Government's decision to impose a toll on vehicles crossing the new Hindmarsh Island bridge. The town welcomed the construction but it "totally opposed" a toll, the Alexandrina mayor, Mr Kym McHugh said yesterday. Mindful that eight years have passed since the then premier, Mr John Bannon, announced the bridge would be built, many Goolwa people remained cautious yesterday. "I'll believe it when i see it,"said Goolwa resident Mr Kevin Hoad. "And if it doesn't happen, I think they can stick the toll". Another resident, Mr Brett Cole saids the imposition of a toll was "fair enough" if the revenue was used to pay for the bridge. "I think it's good the bridge is starting - it's just going to make Goolwa boom,"he said. Mr paul Joseph, of Hindmarsh Island, was opposed to the bridge and to the toll. The island was a special "spiritual" place that should not be destroyed, he said, adding that local people would not to pay for the bridge through a toll. "We don't pay the ferry man now so why should we pay for the bridge?" Mr Joseph said. The proprietor of Hector's on the Wharf Cafe, Ms Monica Moyle, said the bridge would begreat for business but "sad" if it destroyed the town's charm. Goolwa Marina developers Tom and Wendy Chapman joined the opposition to the toll describing it as an "outrageous suggestion". "We're just about to the year 2000 and they're heading back into the 1800s with such a stupid suggestion", Mrs Chapman said. Built Environs spokesman Mr David O'Sullivan said the company wwould now begin new consultations with the Ngarrindjeri Aboriginal people. The company wanted to give them some ownership of the project and would offer employment as well as options such as painting a mural on the bridge. "We need to respect their culture and they need to respect ours,"Mr O'Sullivan said. But Mr O'Sullivan's gesture was rejected as "tokenism" by Mr Stephen Kenny, the lawyer representing the Ngarrindjeri people who oppose the bridge. "To think they can be bought for trinkets shows a gross lack of undestanding," he said. [end of article] ------------------------------------------------------- RecOzNet2 has a page @ http://www.green.net.au/recoznet2 and is archived at http://www.mail-archive.com/ To unsubscribe from this list, mail [EMAIL PROTECTED], and in the body of the message, include the words: unsubscribe announce or click here mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Body=unsubscribe%20announce This posting is provided to the individual members of this group without permission from the copyright owner for purposes of criticism, comment, scholarship and research under the "fair use" provisions of the Federal copyright laws and it may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner, except for "fair use." RecOzNet2 is archived for members @ http://www.mail-archive.com/
