ABC
Wik crunch-time

 The World Today - Tuesday, August31, 199912:37

 COMPERE: It's crunch time on Native Title, according to
 Western Australia's Premier Richard Court, as today the
 Senate in Canberra appears poised to veto the Northern
 Territory Native Title legislation, which was drawn up under
 Mr Howard's Ten-Point Wik Plan, was passed by the
 Parliament last November.

 The Prime Minister's legislation handed Native Title powers
 over to the states and territories, of course, but at the
 insistence of independent Senator Brian Harradine, it also
 gave the Senate the power of a one-off review on the state
 legislation. And today the Australian Democrats have joined
 Labor and the Greens Senator Bob Brown in announcing
 that they'll disallow the Territory legislation. More from our
 chief political correspondent, Matt Peacock:

 MATT PEACOCK: For the Labor Party it's a case of "I told
 you so", the much vaunted certainty promised by the Prime
 Minister for the mining and pastoral industries is an illusion,
 with the Senate still holding the power of veto, that it's
 unwilling to relinquish over state and territory laws.

 The Northern Territory, according to Labor leader Kim
 Beazley, needs to learn how to negotiate properly with the
 Aboriginal land councils that it sought to abolish. And with all
 of the Native Title issue, he warns, the best solution is still
 direct negotiations.

 KIM BEAZLEY: I think what needs to be understood very,
 very clearly, by all those with an interest in this, is that the
 Aboriginal claimants don't have to use the Native Title Act. If
 they choose to they can stand outside it and go the route of
 common law claims. Wik's a common law claim that hasn't
 been settled yet. Mabo was originally a common law claim.
 They take years and years, and any development can be
 successfully stopped, effectively stopped, whenever there is
 a claim over a particular area.

 It's to avoid that sort of thing that we went down the Native
 Title route But that's why it's important that when you do
 something like that Northern Territory legislation, that all
 parties to it are happy with the outcome.

 MATT PEACOCK: The Northern Territory Government
 says, though, that it has negotiated with Aboriginal land
 councils; they, in turn, say simply that they don't trust the
 Government not to change its legislation after the Senate
 might approve it. And to solve that bind, according to
 Senator Brian Harradine, the Territory's Chief Minister,
 Denis Burke, had agreed last Friday to resubmit any
 changes that might be made.

 The next State expected to present legislation to the Federal
 Parliament for approval is likely to be Queensland, and
 there, according to its Premier Peter Beattie, Mr Beazley
 has promised that Federal Labor will pass it, probably
 guaranteeing its passage.

 But no such indulgence is likely for the State after that in the
 queue, Western Australia; which is why Liberal Premier
 Richard Court was on the phone last night with the
 Democrats seeking their support. There and in the Northern
 Territory, he says, thousands of mining applications are
 being kept waiting.

 RICHARD COURT: It's just not seen as an issue on the east
 coast. The fact that we have got our Title system
 log-jammed, that people can't get titles out the other end,
 and we've got this growing, growing litigation that's taking
 place, everything's bogged down in the courts; it really is not
 a high priority I can assure you on the east coast.

 But it is absolutely critical to the future development of this
 State and to places like the Northern Territory, but it would
 appear that the Federal Parliament is trying to basically sort
 of push the Northern Territory into subservience, saying that
 "we want to tick off everything that you do". Now for a
 Territory that is moving towards Statehood . . .

 6BR COMPERE: Well I don't know whether it is, is it?
 Maybe they should have voted for Statehood.

 RICHARD COURT: Well first time it didn't go that way, but
 eventually I'm sure that will happen. And we are a State, we
 are a sovereign State; we have the responsibility for land
 and resource management, and I think it's becoming a bit
 ludicrous that we have the Federal Parliament telling us
 what and what we can't do.

 COMPERE: Richard Court, the Premier of Western
 Australia, speaking this morning on 6BR commercial radio in
 Perth, and also this morning our chief political
 correspondent Matt Peacock spoke to the Queensland
 Premier Peter Beattie.

 MATT PEACOCK: Mr Beattie what exactly has Mr Beazley
 promised you?

 PETER BEATTIE: Well I haven't spoken to Kim directly, but
 I've spoken to his senior staff and, obviously, I've raised my
 concerns about these issues. They assure us that because
 we've got a negotiated outcome on the issue of Native Title,
 where we sat down with indigenous working groups, the
 mining industry and the pastoralists, then they're not going
 to support a disallowance of a negotiated and sensible
 outcome for Native Title in this State.

 Now I'm pleased about all of that because, frankly, we've put
 through four pieces of legislation through the Queensland
 Parliament to establish the State-based regime here. It's a
 good one, it's workable, it supports jobs, it supports growth,
 but it's also fair to indigenous Queenslanders.

 So under those circumstances we think it should be
 supported. It's now been finalised, we're waiting for the final
 ticks in the Federal Parliament.

 MATT PEACOCK: Of course the Northern Territory
 Government says it sat down with its Aboriginal land
 councils too. It would seem that there might be one law
 applying for a Labor State and another for a conservative
 State.

 PETER BEATTIE: Well the Prime Minister referred these to
 the states to establish state-based regimes. Now, clearly, it
 was envisaged that there'd be some differences, otherwise
 why not have one Federal/national approach. Now I don't
 know about the Northern Territory, that's an issue you'd
 have to explore with Brian Burke. But I know in our case we
 sat down and we came up with a fair outcome.

 Now I don't have a problem, Matt; let me make this very
 clear. I do not have a problem with the Federal legislation
 being amended to mean that any changes to any
 state-based regime would be subject to disallowance. I don't
 have a problem with that. We all thought that was the case
 anyway, and there's some muck up in the Federal
 legislation.

 Now that's not our problem. We've gone away - because the
 Prime Minister threw us the ball. He said to the states: "If
 you want a state-based regime, go off and do it"; well we did
 it. And we worked very hard at it. I took personal
 responsibility for it as the Premier. I established a Native
 Title Unit in my Department and I spend a lot of energy and
 time getting the [inaudible] to work this through.

 Now when you get a fair negotiated outcome and you reflect
 it in legislation, our view is that that should be implemented
 and ticked by the Federal Parliament.

 COMPERE: Peter Beattie, a politician on the move there in
 his official ministerial car, speaking to our chief political
 correspondent Matt Peacock.

© 1999 Australian Broadcasting Corporation