Forwarded from Christine Howes:

Dear Everyone,

We are trying to let as many people as possible know about this year's
Heart
Politics Conference.  Could you please pass this message on to anyone you
think might be interested or who you think would benefit from attending.

Thanks,

Garth Luke

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HEART POLITICS CONFERENCE

The 11th Northern NSW Gathering - 'Courage to lift our dreams into the
future'

24th - 28th September '99

An invitation ...

We invite you to share with us this year's Heart Politics Conference.

The conference is a gathering of people interested in social change - in
sharing their ideas, their hopes and their fears.

Heart Politics recognises the power of working simultaneously at the
personal and political levels to achieve change.

It encourages dialogue between people with different perspectives and
cultural experiences, maintaining the dignity of opponents and respect for
the humanity of all people.  It recognises that people working for social
change are human too and need to pay attention to their inner lives and
strengths and weaknesses - to listen to their hearts.

Heart Politics conferences have grown out of this recognition of our common
humanity and its many strengths and weaknesses. The conference reflects
this
diversity and uses a range of strategies to help people explore issues not
just with their heads but also with their bodies and hearts.

The conference is about taking time out to reflect and to feel and it's
about gaining inspiration, ideas, enjoyment and support from others.

Whether you are an established change agent, or still seeking to find a way
to contribute to community development, social justice or environmental
healing, we welcome your participation. This conference will endeavour to
help those striving for social change to find the courage, inspiration and
support to work confidently with issues and challenges, and to invigorate
the  passion for a cause with which they feel truly aligned.

Opportunities ...

The four day Heart Politics conference offers participants the chance to:
* meet people with similar passions
* take time out to review your year
* have fun and make new friends
* build support back at home
* learn new skills
* have a rest
* gain inspiration and hope from the work of others
* be able to express your hopes and your sorrows for the world
* sing and dance a lot
* enjoy the beach, the bush, the lake
* clarify your unique role and next steps as an agent of change.

Conference style ...

The gathering is a blend of conference, workshop and celebration.  It will
be a highly participatory event.  There will be about 80 participants from
wide age range and about half will not have attended a Heart Politics
gathering before.  In addition there will probably be about 10 children.
While many of the participants will be experienced activists covering a
range of issues there will also be a number of people new to social change
work who are looking for a way to contribute.  This will be the Heart
Politics community for the four days of the conference.

Our speakers ...

Sister Patricia Pak Poy is the national coordinator of the international
campaign to ban landmines.  This group was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
for
its work in 1997 and is one of the most effective international campaigns
in
recent times.

She is also a member of the Adelaide congregation of the Sisters of Mercy,
former school principal and is closely associated with Mercy and Jesuit
Refugee services.  In her spare time Patricia enjoys meditation and enjoys
watching her garden grow.

Gavan McFadzean is presently a national campaigner for the Wilderness
Society.  He has worked for environment and social justice organisations in
Australia, North America and The Philippines.

Before moving to the Wilderness Society Gavan co-ordinated the Cairns and
Far North Environment Centre working on the Cape York, Daintree and Great
Barrier Reef campaigns.  Descriptions of Gavan almost always include the
word 'inspiring'.

Comments from past participants:

'A great mixture of practical skills and inspiring stories of the human
spirit'

' The gathering is a holiday in a sense but it also helps me focus on what
want to do in the next year.  It gives me new skills and energy to achieve
my goals.'

'Heart Politics makes visible that there are people who care, and are doing
things in all sorts of ways - there is a wonderful sense that we are all
contributing.'

The venue ...

We have changed the venue this year to Camp Wollumbin at Cabarita Beach.
Surrounded by national park and backed by a beautiful lake, Wollumbin is
just a short hop to the beach. It is situated on the coast road just north
of Cabarita township 32 km south of the Queensland border and 20 minutes
from Coolangatta airport.

Accommodation at Wollumbin is camping only however we have reserved a few
shared motel rooms nearby for participants which can be booked when you
register. No caravans or campervans are allowed on site but there is also a
caravan park close by.

The venue is flat, but the main hall is accessed by a flight of stairs so
please give us a call to discuss any mobility problems. Childcare is
available on site for 4 -12 year olds.

Costs & Registration ...

Adults: $210 - $390
Young People: see scholarship section
Children 4-18: $80
Under 4's: $40
Prices include delicious vegetarian meals.

Sliding scales: in recognition that there are wide differences in people's
ability to pay, we ask you to choose an amount most appropriate taking into
account your financial situation.  The higher amount applies to those on a
full-time wage ($30,000 and above) and the lower end to those who are
unwaged.  By paying the amount at the higher end of the scale you are
contributing to the scholarship fund and helping others to come.  Every
attempt has been made to keep costs to a minimum and almost all of the
organising is done voluntarily.

Children: Our intention in providing childcare for a limited number of 4-12
year olds is to assist parents who could not otherwise attend.  However you
must book early.  Childcare for under 4's will be worked out co-operatively
between parents and others willing to contribute.  While it is generally
not
feasible for young children to attend sessions, we welcome interested
teenagers to join in.

Enquiries ...

Katrina Shields 02 6688 6116 or Garth Luke 02 6688 6198

~~~~~~~