You are, of course, free to choose any project you like, but I do have a suggestion.

In general, AOO uses its own data structures rather than STL templates. I believe it could be made more flexible and more secure by refactoring towards using standard library classes.

Specifically, AOO has its own String class. My suggestion is to investigate whether it could be rewritten as a light wrapper around the standard string class. This requires understanding of data structures and algorithms, as well as C++ coding. It would be a suitable project for a group to work on together, though an individual could make progress on it.