Here's the gist of what i'm trying to do.
I have a nvidia geforce256-2
I want to get it working....so I have found XFree86-4.0.1 off of redhat's rawhide( I tried Mandrake's 4.0, but it didn't work...)

I can't rebuild the source rpm, because it requires the new rpm(the package) from rawhide.....right?
well I got both the binary rpm, and the source rpm for the new version of rpm, and I'm getting the same error as trying to rebuild Xfree86-4.0.1

"only packages with major numbers <=3 are supported by this version of rpm"

How can you upgrade the rpm package, when you can't install it?

I'm pretty sure I have to get this done before I can proceed