On Sun, 17 May 1998, Sahar Nitzan wrote:

> Hi
> Can I make an alias for a group, so when I will send e-mail to that group it will
>reach all the group members ?

The short answer is yes.  The method you chose will vary depending on your
needs, skills and amount of money you're willing to spend.

First money.

   Buy the book 'Sendmail' (author(s) is/are not in my cache
memory and the book is at work.) but it is published by O'Reilly and
Associates.  Very excellant coverage of aliases.

Easy method.
   Create an entry in the /etc/aliases file.  See the 'users' entry for an
example.  Problem is only someone with root access can add and delete
users to the list and update the aliases database (run the 'newaliases'
command).

More flexable method.

Get your admin to add and entry in the aliases file for each group that
refers to an external file.  Make that file writable by whoever needs to
add entries to it.

   The format is:

   thegroup: :include:/path/to/file

The most powerful.

Get your admin to add and entry in the aliases file for each group that
refers to a program.  I won't even go into this since I haven't done it
yet so would probably send you down the wrong path if I did offer and
example.  This _is_ in the Sendmail book.

Good Computing,
Rod
--
Roderick A. Anderson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.

   A year ago I couldn't even spell System Administrator, now I are one.