>> On 16 May 1998 05:14:23 -0000, Eric Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

    ES> "Chuck Carson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    >> The only reason linux is so popular is it is free and most of the
    >> software is free. Solaris has a far more robust kernel

    ES> I beg to differ.  Solaris has a huge bloated inefficient pig
    ES> of a kernel as compared to Linux.  They do wacky things like
    ES> allow interrupt handlers to sleep() by automatically forking

    ES> And calling the Solaris kernel robust is a joke.  I can't
    ES> count the number of different poison packets and
    ES> christmas-tree packets that I've discovered that will cause it

We just bought some SUN Ultra's with Solaris 2.6. The Ultra's have
only 64MB of RAM, but still I find them very efficient.

The kernel is completely modularized (more than Linux) so only what
you use is loaded.

I run some quite large applications on them, and network services (>30
requets per second) and have uptimes of over 80 days now.

Is your opinion based on real experience with recent versions of
Solaris?

    ES> Personally it's far more important to me that I get high
    ES> performance from the kernel, than how many clever new
    ES> theoretical constructs it uses.  If that means that driver
    ES> writers and kernel hackers need to think a little about how to
    ES> write their code, instead of using inefficient safety nets, so
    ES> be it.

Blerg, too complicated and dangerous constructs will inevitably lead
to more and more bugs (real or performance bugs).

    >> and their C/C++ compilers are unparralled in performance and ability.

    ES> The Sun C/C++ compilers didn't seem so great to me.  I've seen
    ES> cases where they choked on perfectly legal ANSI C code, and
    ES> other cases where they compiled illegal code without so much
    ES> as a warning, let alone an error.  I'll take GCC over Sun
    ES> compilers any day.

I do like gcc because you know you can have the same compiler and thus
predictable behaviour everywhere, and because it is the only thing
freely available, but calling gcc better than compilers such as SUN
C++ is plainly ridiculous. gcc is nice but does have quite some
shortcomings, especially w.r.t. some newer C++ constructs and
w.r.t. performance on quite a few types of CPU.

gcc 2.8.x is improving this situation a bit, but still suffers from a
lot of bugs.

--
 /\_/\
( o.o ) Peter Mutsaers  |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |  Trust me, I know