On Tue, May 26, 1998 at 10:50:04PM +0000, Peter Lavender wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was just thinking, I have a spare 1gig + ide hdd.  I was wondering
> if I can use this with linux on an old 486MB that doesn't support LBA
> or large hdd's at all?

Sure!

If you're going to use it as a SECONDARY drive (i.e., NOT the one from
which you boot) there's no problem at all, just put it in, partition
it with fdisk run mkfs and then mount your partitions. If you want to
boot from it, just make sure that the partition where you kernel lives
is entirely below cylinder 1024 (0-1023). One easy way to do this is to
make a small partition (5-20 mb) at the beginning of the disk, copy
everything from /boot to it, then mount it as /boot (make sure it is
listed in /etc/fstab so it'll get mounted automatically at boot time).
Having done that, you should be fine.

There used to be an old mini-HOWTO on using large IDe drives that
spelled out the procedure, but it seems to have been replaced by a newer,
larger one that discusses other things, but not that (or not as well).
But it's not hard to do anyway.

Fred
 .----    Fred Smith    /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]