On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Kevin Seguin wrote:
>is it possible to create a disk to boot from during installation of
>rh5.0?  i have NT on my machine now, and i want to install red hat so i

It seems pretty convoluted, and I would think that somewhere in there
there's something redundant, but I don't know where exactly since I
only run Linux here.

At any rate, any time you want to make a boot disk in Linux, you
can do so by first copying the linux kernel over to a floppy, and then
setting the root device on the floppy. The root device is the partition
that you boot linux from; example /dev/hda1.

As root, do:

# dd if=/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0
# rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/hda1

Then you should be able to boot the floppy and go straight into Linux.
If you want to run NT, then don't boot off of the floppy. At least
that's how I'd go about it, and it seems a simpler approach.