On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Cristian Tibirna wrote:

> I will attempt in a near future to put up a "case study and
> implementation proposal" for the migration of a number of old unix
> machines here in our dept to modern Unix variants.

Good plan. :)

> 1) Is it possible to make RH Linux-4.2.ppc work on an IBM PowerPC Model 720?

I know that at least some of the IBM workstations do work.  I think that
most if not all PREP and CHiRP-compliant systems will run Linux.  In
particular the 830, 840, 40P, and 43P are known to work.

> 2) Are there projects, efforts or even achievements to make Linux run
> on RS6000 machines? Does Linux for PowerPC apply to RS6000 machines?

Yes, at least, those RS6000's which are based on PPC.

> 3) What is the availability (and quality) of basic (server) software
> like on Linux for PowerPC? I'm mostly insterested in gcc, g++, fortran
> (g77), ftp server, httpd, samba.

The quality here is good.  From when I ran MKLinux on a PowerMac, there
were some "issues" with the X server but it was pretty stable basically
and the server software worked well.  Since you are not using a Mac, you
would probably be better off with LinuxPPC.  LinuxPPC only works on PCI
based systems.  MKLinux is a bit slower because of the Mach microkernel
and is mostly used for 68K Macs.  I believe it will run on any system
which Mach runs on, however.  Which is better for you, is probably a
matter of taste.  I don't know what about video drivers and X-windows for
you.  :)  Never ran Linux on a RS6000 system.