Hi

I have a laptop and a desktop running under RedHat 5.0 with all updates
patches installed. I have just noticed that every time I update the
glibc packages, some disk space (a few Mbytes) gets lost, despite
the nominal size of the old and new package is almost identical
(i.e. going from glibc-2.0.7-4 to 2.0.7-5 where the size of the installed
packages are almost identical for glibc, glibc-debug, glibc-devel and
glibc-profile, I lost some 4 Mbytes of disk space).

The procedure was to a) rpm -i --force the new ones, b) rpm -e the old
ones and then verify the new ones. After I did rpm --rebuilddb.

As a check on the desktop I re-installed glibc-2.0.6-9 and then went back
to glibc-2.0.7-5 and I lost more than 10 Mbytes in the back and forward
procedure!

Is there anything I miss? How can I recover the apparently lost disk space
(it is particularly critical on the laptop, also because glibc were
updated many times)? Is this occuring with other packages too?

                Thanks in advance
                  Paola Sala

 Paola Sala
 INFN Milano