Greg Thomas writes:

> > This is an honest query from someone who does not
> > understand how the real world works.  In my job, the OS
> > is totally transparent to the users.  It was VMS, now
> > it's NT (with obvious hardware replacement).  What the
> > user sees (and what my graduate school books say
> > management should focus on is the users)
>
> Must be lousy books.

In the contrary. Especially in a corporate environment, the users simply
don't care (and in fact they shouldn't have to) who made their computers,
their OS or their applications - as long as they can get their jobs done -
and these jobs are usually *not* playing around with computers or OSes but
rather writing reports, performing measurements or simulations, doing
calculations etc.pp. And yes, I think that IS people (and management) should
indeed focus on the users. It's the IS people's job then to make sure that
the users get the best solution that suits their needs (and to convince
management that a particular solution *is* the best one... ...which can be
rather difficult sometimes...)

Just my 2p,

Thomas