I just purchased a new system. It has a  MSI KT3 Ultra2 KT333 Socket A Mainboard,
an AMD Athlon 2100+ processor and a 80gb Western Digital drive.

I've loaded Phoebe (Beta 2) for testing. In general, things look good. The
primary problem I'm having is when I copy files from an Iomega USB 2 Hard drive
(40gb) to my home directory, the copy locks up after copying for awhile. When
it locks up, I can still perform other system functions, but cannot kill the
copy and cannot browse the usb hard drive. I've done a <CTRL><ALT><F1>, logged
in as root and executed "halt". The system won't shutdown though, because it
says /home is busy and can't be unmounted. I've had to turn the power off to
finish the shutdown. I can do this (hard shutdown) while testing, but would
rather not when I make the system my primary computer.

I searched google and found that there are some USB 2 issues with kernels prior
to 2.4.21-pre3, in particular with the VIA USB controller.

My primary question is: Is there a way I can force a clean shutdown when
unmount won't?

2nd question is: Does anybody know if Redhat will be incorporating the USB
fixes in 8.1 final? I plan on submitting a bug to bugzilla tonight, but thought
I'd ask.

Arnold Weekley
Contractor
Guidant Corporation