[EMAIL PROTECTED] pravi:

Fra: Sasa Stupar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Dato: 2003/09/22 Mon PM 12:17:50 CEST
Til: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Emne: Re: The network stops responding

[EMAIL PROTECTED] pravi:

Fra: Sasa Stupar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Dato: 2003/09/22 Mon AM 11:04:00 CEST
Til: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] pravi:

Fra: Edward Dekkers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Dato: 2003/09/22 Mon AM 09:39:43 CEST
Til: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi

I have a little problem with the NIC (I think) which consists of it stops responding from time to time. I've got RH9 with the latest Samba, Apache and Squid Proxy Server installed and sometimes it totally stops responding. At first I though it was the Proxy server that wasn't properly configured but after hours of searching and checking the config file I found no errors. So I by pure luck tested to see if the webserver worked like it should when the proxy stopped responding and it didn't work either so I think it has got to be a RH problem, but I can't for the life if me figure out what it is. Can any of you people please help me. I'm not sure which information you need but just ask and I'll provide it. And by the way, I tested the webserver using another proxy :)

Thanks in advance
Roy Otto Kleiv

Firstly - please set your e-mail client to wrap it's lines at about 72 characters. It's coming through as one big long line here.

Secondly - I don't have an exact answer for you regarding your problem, but in my opinion, you're going about your testing the wrong way. When you suspect a faulty NIC, the best thing I can think of doing is running ping against the suspected faulty PC. This will tell you whether the PC is responding at it's most basic level.

If it doesn't even respond to a ping AND your networking is set up properly (check ifconfig and maybe your routes) AND your firewall/intrusion detection isn't blocking the request AND your hub is OK (check the port lights) AND the NIC is active (again, check the lights) THEN yes, it is probably the NIC.

All I'm trying to say is that it could be caused by a thousand things, and a faulty NIC is not the first thing I'd suspect (unless it's a really cheapo card I guess).

Regards,
Ed.

Hi

I formulatd myself a little incorrectly in my post. I don't think it's the NIC itself, actually I know this, I thought maybe there was a bug or something in RH9. This has happen on 3 different machines running the same system, so I "hoped" there was a bugfix or something for this. I've done a little searching but I can't seem to find anything so I hoped some of you guys had run into this problem earlier.

My client is now set to wrap it's lines at 72 characters.

Roy

WebMail fra Tele2 http://www.tele2.no

Maybe is the problem in your HUB or SWITCH. I have problems like this that my switch stops letting the traffic through. Just reset and it works again.

Hi

That can't be the problem either. Doubt it's a hardware error at all since it's happening on three different machines on totally different networks. All computers have the same software installed, and I doubt it's the proxy server because I can't connect to the webserver on the same machine when the proxy stops working. I tried connecting to the webserver using another proxy and I couldn't connect. At the same time I pinged the server and I lost no packets whatsoever, so I doubt it's hardware related.

I'm totally lost here, don't understand what the problem is.

Sincerely
Roy Otto

WebMail fra Tele2 http://www.tele2.no

HAve you checked your firewall settings?

Hi again

There's no firewall on that box. The server and the network which uses that server is "behind" another firewall so there's no need

Thanks for your quick replies :)