I picked up a new Seagate Hawk 4.3 gig SCA drive ST-15230WC recently, with an
adapter to attach it
to either a 68 pin wide or 50 pin narrow SCSI bus.  This adaptor is not terminated.

  I have an Asus SC-875 ultra-wide SCSI HBA, based on the Symbios/NCR 875 chip.
Attached to this
bus is an IBM wide HD (terminated) on the wide side of the bus.  On the narrow side, I
have 2 Quantum
drives, a Panasonic CD drive and a Connor tape drive (terminated).  This SCSI bus is
linear.  I also
have a Symbios/NCR 810 based card (terminated) to which I have only a terminated Umax
scanner
attached.

  When the Seagate is not installed, this system works perfectly.  However, I cannot
get the Seagate
drive to play nicely.  When I attach it, whether to the wide side or the narrow side
of the 875 HBA,  it
causes no end of problems: it won't hold a partition or file system, error messages
come from the OS
that the drive isn't functioning, at times an OS won't boot if the Seagate is attached
to the SCSI bus.  At
all times, my system is seriously slowed down, with the HD access LED almost
constantly lit.

  There is no SCSI ID conflict and the SCSI BIOS sees the drive correctly (i.e. it
identifies the drive at
the correct SCSI ID).  The drive does not work in DOS, OS/2 or  Linux.

  Yesterday, I disconnect all other hard drives, just had the Seagate attached.  I
tried to install Red Hat
5.0 from CD on to it, but gave up after 3 hours of writing an ext2fs to the drive (2
gig partition, set by
RH fdisk).

  I've checked the Seagate web site for documentation on this drive; it's configured
with the default
options and I can see no reason (from the docs) why the default configuration
shouldn't work.

  I'm really hoping that one of you is a SCSI wizard, a scholar, a gentleman and a
judge of fine whiskey
and can help me figure out what's going on.

  If it matters, the rest of my system is a Asus Triton FX motherboard, 6x86 P-150+
CPU, 64 MB EDO
RAM, Matrox Millenium 4 MB video, Gravis UltraSound PnP Pro (which I can't get working
in Linux).

Cheers,
Rob