> i got this in my logwatch email to root the other day:

> g68JKQpm001168: Authentication-Warning: mydomain.com: myuser
> owned process
> doing -bs

> what's a -bs?

a sendmail commandline parameter used by programs like pine to send mail. If
the sender is not a trusted user this warning is written to the logs.

> is it bad?

no, just a warning.

> is there a faq out there that can fill me in on all of this?

not that I'm aware of one, I use google when in doubt about sth. like this.

> most notably the 'unmatched entries' in things like sendmail,
> proftpd and sshd are bothering me.

Then logwatch is probably not what you want, disable it if you like

> that and the fact that i'm getting tonnes of
> attempted annonymous ftp connections when i don't support
> annonymous ftp and
> to my knowledge, i'm not advertising the fact that i'm
> running an ftp server
> anywhere.

welcome to the internet where portscans are a common thing and every open
Port 21 is visited by people trying to figure out if your ftp server is
usable for warez trading.

Disable ftp or live with it. There is not much you can do against it.