Generation-X (lahir 1961-1981) telah menjadi ayah, sementara Generasi 
Baby Boomers (lahir 1943-1960) telah menjadi kakek (Atwater 2005).
Berikut artikel sebagai insight untuk memahami anak dan cucu kita, 
Generasi Millenial.
Alias - menurut penulis artikel - Google Generation.
Excerpt: “He's a digital native; you're a digital immigrant. Your brains 
are never going to be on the same circuit system.”

Mengutip Khalil Gibran:

Anak-anakmu bukanlah anak-anakmu.
Mereka adalah anak-anak kehidupan
Yang rindu akan dirinya sendiri

Mereka terlahir melalui engkau
Tapi bukan darimu
Meskipun mereka ada bersamamu
Tapi mereka bukan milikmu

Pada mereka engkau dapat memberikan cintamu,
Tapi bukan pikiranmu
Karena mereka memiliki pikiran mereka sendiri

Engkau bisa merumahkan tubuh-tubuh,
Bukan jiwa mereka
Karena jiwa-jiwa itu tinggal di rumah hari esok
Yang tak pernah dapat engkau kunjungi meskipun dalam mimpi


BR,
Andri
SI93


http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/article4295414.ece

How the Google generation thinks differently

Digital-age kids process information differently from parents. Our 
writer admits misjudging how her son was learning
undefined

Catherine O'Brien

My elder son Oli is almost 15 and way beyond the stage where I might 
usefully help with his homework. But in the run-up to his recent 
end-of-year exams, I felt compelled to take a hovering interest in his 
revision. This chiefly involved loitering on the landing and popping 
into his room at frequent intervals laden with the laundered contents of 
his sock drawer.

Every time I crossed the threshold, the scene was the same: textbooks 
remained firmly closed in his bag while the laptop was open on his desk.

On the screen was some history/ physics/English document, but also his 
Facebook and iTunes pages. In his ears were the iPod plugs, playing back 
a podcast. And sometimes, just to fracture his concentration even 
further, he might have had a half-played video running on YouTube as well.

If you are the parent of a teenager, this vignette will be familiar. We 
each have our breaking points and one night during that exam period I 
reached mine. How, I wanted to know, as I scooped up the laptop and 
announced that I was confiscating it until further notice, could he be 
absorbing the finer points of photosynthesis and his French vocab if he 
treated his mind like a pogo stick?
Sex advice: teens and internet sex videos

A teenager I know had an intimate clip of her posted on the internet. 
How can I protect my 16-year-old daughter?
How to deal with pre-teens and make-up

Children as young as seven are piling on slap, and kiddie salons are 
opening, offering fancy hairdos as well as manicures
Related Links

* 'Children want advice about the web'

* Google targeted in internet safety shake-up

Was I being an unreasonable, autocratic, helicopter mother? My son would 
tell you definitely yes, while friends battling with their own teenagers 
assure me I'm not. It took the impartiality of my geeky acquaintance 
Ben, however, to unearth the truth: “He's a digital native; you're a 
digital immigrant. Your brains are never going to be on the same circuit 
system.”

Digital natives and digital immigrants are terms coined by the American 
futurist Marc Prensky to distinguish between those who have grown up 
with technology and those who have adapted to it. As an immigrant, I may 
be computer-proficient, but I still print out documents to read them, 
call people to check they received my e-mail and keep a dictionary by my 
desk. And I can remember (admittedly only in a vague way) that when it 
came to exam revision, I spent many hours sealed in my room away from 
the TV and other distractions, my head burrowed in books. Natives, in 
contrast, multi-task, thrive on instant gratification and claim to 
function best when networked. None of this is new. Prensky first wrote 
about natives and immigrants (and the startling fact that today's 
average student will, before graduating, spend 10,000 hours 
computer-game playing, but only 5,000 hours reading books) seven years ago.

What is new and perturbing is the emerging evidence of the consequences 
of this digital divide. According to researchers we are in the midst of 
a sea change in the way that we read and think. Our digitally native 
children have wonderfully flexible minds. They absorb information 
quickly, adapt to changes and are adept at culling from multiple 
sources. But they are also suffering from internet-induced attention 
deficit disorder.

Rose Luckin, Professor of Learner- Centred Design at the London 
Knowledge Lab and a visiting professor at the University of Sussex, is 
working on a study examining the internet's impact on pupils' critical 
and meta-cognitive skills. “The worrying view coming through is that 
students are lacking in reflective awareness,” she says. “Technology 
makes it easy for them to collate information, but not to analyse and 
understand it. Much of the evidence suggests that what is going on out 
there is quite superficial.”

The experience with which my generation grew up, of absorbing oneself in 
a single book and allowing its themes to meander into the mind before 
forming considered judgments, is in danger of being eclipsed by the new, 
digital world order.

This year, researchers at University College London reported the results 
of a five-year study into the “Google Generation”. When they examined 
the behaviour of those logging on to the websites of journals, e-books 
and other sources of written information, they found widespread evidence 
of “skimming activity”. Users viewed no more than three pages before 
“bouncing out”.

This wasn't just the norm for students. “The same has happened to 
professors and lecturers. Everyone exhibits a bouncing/flicking 
behaviour, which sees them searching horizontally rather than 
vertically. Power browsing is the norm.”

Power browsing, I have to concede, has become the norm for me. Google 
has been my godsend as a writer. Research that once required hours of 
trawling through reports and cuttings, and days of fielding calls to 
source experts, can be done in a few clicks of a mouse.

The difference, though, is that as a digital immigrant, my mind has 
baseline skills in concentration, contemplation and knowledge 
construction. My fear - and the reason why I wrested my son's laptop 
away from him - is that the acquisition of those skills is being lost in 
the twitch-speed of our new Web 2.0 world.

Brian Kelly has been championing the digital revolution since setting up 
one of the first educational websites at the University of Leeds in 
1993. He's now a national adviser to higher education, based at the 
University of Bath. I'm not surprised when he tells me I was wrong to 
confiscate my son's computer. “When I was doing my physics A level, I 
had one standard textbook in which everything was gospel. Your son can 
go online, find information that challenges the text and then he can 
network with others, compare notes and even e-mail the experts.”

I can see that that broadens his knowledge, but does it deepen it? 
“Education has always been about absorbing the facts first and 
reflecting on them second. Technology is not hampering that, but take 
away his laptop and you are just setting him up for a rebellion,” Kelly 
says. “The technology tide is unstoppable.”

Wilma Clark, a former IT teacher and now a researcher at the Institute 
of Education at the University of London, is more sympathetic to my 
panic measures. “I shouldn't worry about him being on Facebook. All he 
is doing is using technology to replace the friend who might have come 
to do his homework with him,” she says. She points out that when 
teaching, she often encouraged students to listen to their iPods during 
practical tasks, “because it prevents them from chatting and losing 
concentration”.

Children do have the capacity to assimilate learning faster and 
simultaneously from multiple sources, says Clark. “The downside is that 
they expect more variety, so their boredom threshold is falling. Some 
teaching is adapting to that and becoming more dynamic, some is not.”

When faced with a homework deadline or an exam, though, she is convinced 
that pupils do focus. “But like all of us, they won't do something until 
they have to, unless they are passionate about it.”

I recovered quickly enough from my hissy fit and returned my son's 
laptop the next evening. The proof of the pudding would be in his 
results, I decided, and now that they have come in, I have to concede 
that the social networking/internet surfing/revision combo threw up no 
surprises. From the pleasing to the mediocre, his grades were predictable.

Today's teenagers have an assumed ownership of technology. Like many 
parents, I haven't joined Facebook, MySpace or other social networking 
sites. I've resisted on the basis that it would be as embarrassing to my 
children as it would be if I hung out with them dressed in a miniskirt. 
But, having spoken to various experts, I realise I have been misguided 
in allowing him to think of all internet innovations as his domain. It's 
worth remembering, after all, that it was the creative, ground-breaking 
minds of digital immigrants that invented the internet.

“Because they have been using digital technology all their lives, our 
children feel they have authority over it,” says Rose Luckin. “But 
technology cannot teach them to reflect upon and evaluate the 
information they are gathering online. For that, the role of teachers 
and parents remains fundamentally important. You are in the hot seat. 
They still need you to open that conversation.”

NATIVES v IMMIGRANTS

Digital natives
Like receiving information quickly from multiple media sources.
Like parallel processing and multi-tasking.
Like processing pictures, sounds and video before text.
Like random access to hyperlinked multimedia information.
Like to network with others.
Like to learn “just in time”.

Digital immigrants
Like slow and controlled release of information from limited sources.
Like singular processing and single or limited tasking.
Like processing text before pictures, sounds and video.
Like to receive information linearly, logically and sequentially.
Like to work independently.
Like to learn “just in case”.

------------------------------------

Komunitas Referensi
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/referensi/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/referensi/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/referensi/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kirim email ke