Dear working group,

This is a request for action for you! Yes you! Reader of this mail, participant
in this working group, or provisioning expert you forward this mail to.

Resulting from our last session in Seoul and follow up discussion on the
mailinglist a few weeks ago, we still need to make a clear decision on advise
for the authors of the reseller drafts in which direction the working group
wants these documents to progress. So far, there has not been an overwhelming
feedback. We realize that not every draft may attract your attention, but for
this working group to produce any quality documents, it’s vital that drafts are
reviewed and multiple angle advise is given.

This is a request to please take some time to review the purpose of the
reseller drafts.
Detailed XML review is welcomed, but to answer this one question that the
authors are desperately waiting on, quantity of opinions and a good generic
overview of EPP and future registration processes is most important.

To summarize where we left off in Seoul, and the question that we need an anser
for is the choice between 2 options that we have left to register resellers in
EPP.
I have renamed these option 1 and 2 (resulting from options C and D during the
session in Seoul).

Option 1: A dedicated reseller object.
This is the pragmatic approach. We define an object that is only for resellers,
as that is the only question on the table now.
+ Only define attributes needed for resellers now.
- Hard to reuse or adjust after data is provisioned, and future roles will need
a newly defined dedicated object as well.

Option 2: A generic organization object that can also be used for resellers.
This is the more future proof approach, where an organization object can be
used for resellers now, but can be used for provisioning future roles as well
(think dns-operator, auditor, RDAP access) by tagging the relationship role the
organization has with other objects.
+ No need to reinvent the wheel in the future, multiple roles can exist, fewer
objects needed.
-  More work now to define generic attributes and which attributes are
mandatory or optional for a reseller role to provision. A need to define
relations to other objects.

It boils down to this simple question:
Do we think every role an organization has needs a separate object in EPP, or
do we think an organization can have more than one role in the registration
process and we can identify this role in relation to other objects in EPP.

Please state your choice and motivation as an advise to the authors by
answering to this thread.
Be aware that other options have already been discussed and were rejected. So
please don’t make the choice more difficult by inventing an option 3.

Regards,

- --
Antoin Verschuren

Tweevoren 6, 5672 SB Nuenen, NL