I agree: move on, and make this discussion a new work item for the group.

It was an interesting discussion by the way...

My opinion:

First of all, I don't know about real world examples of issues concerning
unsupported extensions by one of our registrars. When we introduce new
extensions, or update existing ones, this is all communicated long in advance
to all of our registrars so they can prepare the change. They have plenty of
time to implement the extensions, and if they don't implement them, I guess
they just ignore it (non-validating clients). There's no such thing as a client
which all of a sudden must support or handle new extensions.

Now to answer the questions:

1. Do you believe that it is protocol compliant for the server to return
something that the client did not explicitly include in the login services?

No. As Postel said: "be conservative in what you do". The client says it does
not understand it, so be kind and don't return it.

2. The purpose of the server's greeting service and the client's login
services:

It's not a negotiate. It's informational, and in case of the login svcs it's a
kind request to only "talk the languages" of the supported extensions. Should a
server return an error when it receives a request containing extensions it does
understand, but which are not mentioned by the client? No, even not for
extensions it does not understand.

3. Validating clients: clients should be permissive in what they accept. A
client must interpret the server's response as good as possible (i.e. ignoring
XSD violations, use of non-supported schema's, ...).

What about poll responses potentially containing extensions not supported by
the client? Because of (3) that should not be a problem, but since in my
opinion a server should be conservative (to be able to serve both validating
and non-validating clients), it should send the response in another way. This
is in my opinion a task for the working group. (Top of mind suggestion: encode
part of the response which is not understood as a CDATA block)

kind regards

Pieter