Thanks Patrick for the full history on templates and groups

In mean time I looked to the .cz extension and it seems they serve the same
purpose.

I think the 2 flavours for nameservers should not be an obstacle. When using a
template, it would be possible to use either host links vs host attributes. It
depends on how you design it.

I see a big difference with bulk updates. Bulk updates equals to lots of data
to be transferred.
With templates, you further "normalize" the data model. It is comparable with
contact updates: when you change the name of a contact, all WHOIS data of
domains having the same contact id are updated with a single update command.
When you change a template by updating nameservers/DNSSEC data/..., all DNS
data of domains having the same template id are updated with a single command.
The client is relieved of the burden to check whether all domains with the same
DNS "profile" are updated and it does not have to perform a bulk update of
thousands of domains.

I'm also not in favour of a protocol extension for bulk updates. The reason is
that it is already possible. A client may handle updates asynchronously and can
shoot a list of command to the EPP server.

Kind regards

Pieter