On Tue, Apr 23, 2019, at 05:02, Rubens Kuhl wrote:
> Certificates can be made as secure as one wants to. The two most common
> ways in the EPP ecosystem are:
> 1) Accept certificates from a number of established CAs, but tag an
> specific certificate as being authorised. So the authorisation does not
> rely only on the CN, but CN+specific public key.
> 2) Run your own private CA. This is what we do in both .br and our gTLD
> back-end, where we tailor the CN to be the registrar ID. BTW, it would
> be nice if ICANN run a CA that identified gTLD registrars in the gTLD
> space... but until they do, we have our own.

3) the registry accepts any certificate, even self-signed ones.

It is maybe not common, but as secure as the previous ones: the registry
whitelists certificates in advance and out of band, and they are
associated specifically per registrar.

Hence the certificate content, and specifically the issuer part
does not matter a lot.

In that case it leaves the registrar free to organize itself how
he wants, either by generating a local self-signed certificate (one for all,
one per registry but key for all or one per registry with separate key), or
using one from a well-known CA.
If all registries start to maintain their own PKI then again it is
a maintenance nightmare for registrars (those connecting to multiple
registries).

I am not sure a new CA would help tremendously here. At least it just adds
an additional case for all registrars not dealing with only one gTLD
(because even if it exists I doubt that one could mandate all gTLD registries
to accept this CA and only this CA as it is a matter of trust and transitive
trust, so why should any gTLD registry trust unconditionnaly this new CA?)

--
  Patrick Mevzek
  p...@dotandco.com