Hello Scott, James.

One thought is if it could be in the RDAP profile doc for the DNRs
(https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/rdap-operational-profile-2016-07-26-en).
That way no need to update the spec.

Jasdip

On 9/24/20, 12:31 PM, "regext on behalf of Hollenbeck, Scott"
<regext-boun...@ietf.org on behalf of
shollenbeck=40verisign....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> [...]
draft-ietf-regext-rfc7482bis

    > Scott,
    >
    > Yes, lumping the registrar object with the contact object under a single
RDAP
    > entity object interface is the rub.  We solved the problem in the RDAP
    > Profile, by supporting entity lookup by IANA ID (number) and registrar
name
    > (string) for the registrar objects, and by ROID (“((\w|_){1,80}-\w{1,8}")
for
    > the contact objects.  Where there is overlap, which is registrar name
(string)
    > and ROID ((“((\w|_){1,80}-\w{1,8}") the contact takes precedence.  My
    > recommendation is to provide guidance in the section 3.1.5 "Entity Path
    > Segment Specification" for this real world case:
    >
    > The <handle> parameter represents an entity (such as a contact,
registrant,
    > or registrar) identifier whose syntax is specific to the registration
provider.
    > For example, for some DNRs, contact identifiers are specified in [RFC5730]
    > and [RFC5733], and registrar identifiers are specified using the IANA
Registrar
    > ID assigned by ICANN.  The server SHOULD define a scheme for the <handle>
    > parameter to differentiate between the supported entity object types
(e.g.,
    > contact and registrar), such as using different <handle> formats, using a
    > <handle> precedence order, or a combination of formats and precedence
    > order.
    >
    > The SHOULD could be a MUST, but the point is to provide guidance to
    > implementers of the protocol.

    I'd like to see some discussion of this suggestion, too. What do people
think? Is it necessary?

    Scott