Policy wise, I would keep the DS intact in a transfer or NS change, so that all
non-DNSSEC-capable registrars would soon disappear. ;-)
Since a transfer does not change NS records nor DNSKEY records, it’s not the
transfer that breaks the domain, but a subsequent NS change to a new
dns-provider..

A minimal requirement for a registrar is that he is capable of administratively
removing the old DS record at the registry before changing the NS, just as he
is obliged to maintain the other data on behalf of the registrant. What would
you do with a registrar that “does not support contact address changes”?
If the new registrar cannot handle that, he is not worthy. Let him swim ;-)

- --
Antoin Verschuren
no-hats