Mario,

From: regext <regext-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Mario Loffredo
<mario.loffr...@iit.cnr.it>
Date: Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 7:46 AM
To: "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>
Subject: [regext] Fwd: RDAP JSContact feedback

7.  Security Considerations

“The only mandatory property, namely "uid", is usually an opaque string.”

Do we need to clarify further here, given “uid” would be a non-opaque handle in
jscard?

[ML] Sorry but I didn't catch this. Did you mean that "uid" in jscard could
disclose some sensitive contact information?

[JS] That’s an interesting question. In contrast with a UUID for a “uid”, a
handle might disclose. But, I was simply reacting to the “usually an opaque
string” phrase given we have a SHOULD for “uid” being a handle. Meaning, in our
case, it would more likely be a handle (less opaque) than a UUID (more opaque).

[ML] UUID is not the only value accepetd for "uid" in JSContact (see
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-jmap-jscontact-08#section-2.1.2),
 both URI and free-form text are accepted.

Maybe opaque is not the right term. I'll rearrange the sentence to mean that
the only required property in JSContact is not a sensitive information as it
happens with fn for jCard.

[JS] Yes, that’ll clarify.

Thanks,

Jasdip