On 21 Dec 2021, at 16:16, Hollenbeck, Scott <shollenb...@verisign.com> wrote:

>> [snip]
>>
>> I was recently contacted by an otherwise clueful person who was confused
>> because an RDAP query for a particular nameserver object seemingly
>> showed the wrong sponsoring registrar.
>>
>> Upon investigation, it was revealed that the nameserver in question was
>> subordinate to domain in another TLD. The user was expecting the RDAP
>> record to show the registrar of the sponsoring registrar of the parent
>> domain, rather than the registrar who happened to create it, because two
>> different TLDs can use two unrelated registry systems, and there is no
>> synchronisation between them, therefore nameserver objects are not
>> globally unique in the way that domain names are.
>>
>> It occurred to me that it may be possible to mitigate this confusion: in
>> response to nameserver queries, an RDAP server can include a "related" link
>> to the "authoritative" RDAP server (constructed using the bootstrap
>> registry).
>>
>> My question to this group is how useful this would be? Does it solve a real
>> problem?
>
> [SAH] Sounds useful to me. What did the otherwise clueful person think?

He agreed that the above solution would be effective.

G.

--
Gavin Brown
Head of Registry Services

Cal: http://cnic.link/gbcalendar

CentralNic Group plc is a company registered in England and Wales with company
number 8576358. Registered Offices: Saddlers House, Gutter Lane, London EC2V
6BR.

https://www.centralnic.com