From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffr...@iit.cnr.it>
Date: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 at 4:50 AM
To: Jasdip Singh <jasd...@arin.net>, Antoin Verschuren
<ietf=40antoin...@dmarc.ietf.org>, "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [regext] New version of rdap-reverse-search

Hi Jasdip,

seems to me that the majority was so much in favor of both the help response
extension and the ad-hoc IANA registry that the we have been discussing about
their structure for some days and two versions were published.

Anyway, I do believe that the help extension is appropriate in this case and
seems to me in line with the current WG trend (see other ongoing documents such
as rdap-openid and rdap-versioning) to provide clients with guidance about both
pre-defined and custom optional features a server supports.

Furthermore, the additonal implementation effort needed in this case to extend
the help response is worthwhile if compared to the benefit.

Finally, looking back to the past, this is not the first time we address the
discovery topic; we have already accomplished it in other RFCs (i.e. 8977 and
8982), though as a recommendation and according to a different approach.

With hindsight, think it could be useful to follow always the same way whereas
it makes sense in the future and, in the event of bis-versions, to review the
existing RFCs accordingly.

Similar considerations can be made with regard to the usage of an ad-hoc IANA
registry.

Have already said that I don't prefer to use centralized registries but I don't
strongly object to them. So if, as it seems to be emerged from the discussion,
there is a prevailing opinion that an IANA registry about the reverse search
prioperties improves the interoperability, I agree.

Best,

Mario