Hello Scott,

Firstly, thank you for including both session-oriented and token-oriented
client scenarios in this doc. Makes it easier for comparison.

Please find my input to your question below.

Regards,
Jasdip

On 1/26/23, 2:10 PM, "regext on behalf of Hollenbeck, Scott"
<regext-boun...@ietf.org <mailto:regext-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of
shollenbeck=40verisign....@dmarc.ietf.org
<mailto:40verisign....@dmarc.ietf.org>> wrote:

> >> [JB] I agree that the server development should follow Postel's law
> >> but why not adding this as a capability in the
> >> farv1_openidcConfiguration structure, so what is implemented would be
> clear and won't break the principle.
> >> This concern is based on feedback I got from developers, including
> >> people maintaining RDAP servers. I think we may end up with partial
> >> implementations without a way to be aware that only one client type is
> supported.
> > [SAH] I'd really like to hear what others have to say about this. A server
> > that
> only supports one type of client won't be accessible to some number of end
> users. That doesn't sound like a good thing.
>
> [ML] I support Julien's proposal.
>
> The token-based approach will be implemented with little to no effort while
> the
> session-based approach will take much more time.
>
> IMO, separating the implementation of the two approaches would enable
> implementers to easily comply with the spec.
>
> In addition, the token-based approach might be the only one practicable due
> the server policy of accepting the authenticated requests from trusted
> clients
> only.

[SAH] Thanks for the feedback, Mario. I still don't think this is a good idea,
but if mine is a minority opinion I'll update the text to remove the MUST and
include config info so a server can describe the type(s) of clients it
supports. Please folks, share an opinion now if you have one. Should a server
be able to support one type of client only?

[JS] As much as we want to be liberal in accepting various usage scenarios from
clients, I think there is a merit in considering the implementation cost for
RDAP servers. Tend to agree with Mario and Julien; allowing a server to signal
the type of clients it supports should help speed up the server implementations
for this proposal.