Chair hat off.

Thank you Tom for this document and your presentation. I like it a lot.

I have read this draft, and have some comments/requests as discussed during our
IETF 116 meeting session.
Most of my remarks are about section 4, Link Relations:

1. Suggest to replace “operator” with “server operator” to clarify the RDAP
terminology of a client-server relation in this document. Especially in the
last paragraph of section 4 this will prevent confusion that the normative
language applies to the server operator, as the client has no notion of where
in the hierarchy he is when making a query.

2. With regards to the hierarchy itself, there are 2 use cases that can be
served better:
Most common use cases are:

-Where is address space used when querying an IP address or prefix
Usually, this is the assignment of address space, which is recorded in the
bottom of the hierarchy that whois usually presents by default.
-Who is responsible for maintaining the address space registration when
querying an IP address or prefix.
Usually this is the allocation of address space that is responsible for
administration and f.e. creating RPKI ROAs, which is the top of the hierarchy
in the INR registry.

Instead of reiteratively querying “up’ and “down” relations until you reach the
top or bottom of the hierarchy, I want to suggest to add a “top” and “bottom”
relationship query to immediately reach those objects. Some language should be
there that Top and Bottom mean top and bottom of the hierarchy of the specific
INR, not to include f.e. imported IANA or other parent IR allocations.

3. We discussed that IRR objects that are often also registered in RIR
databases may be out of scope for this document as the aim for this document is
to replace most common whois queries. However, some RIRs (RIPE, APNIC) include
IRR data (f.e. route objects) by default in whois responses for IP address
space, and ASN/autnum objects returned in whois queries also contain IRR data
in the objects itself in the form of import/export statements in the autumn
object. If the aim is to replace whois queries, including RPSL responses, than
maybe we should discuss including optional query/response definitions for
AS-SET and Route Objects?

4. As you already mentioned in your presentation, I would like to encourage
other INRs, particularly RIRs, involved in reviewing this document to make sure
they meet their requirements and use cases.

Regards,

Antoin