Andy,

Yes, JCard certainly added complexity to the draft __.  I believe a statement
can be broader than RFC 9083 to state something like the following at the start
of Section 3:

"Redaction in RDAP can be handled in multiple ways.  The resulting redacted
RDAP response MUST comply with the RDAP RFCs, such as [RFC 9083].".

Thanks,

--

JG

James Gould
Fellow Engineer
jgo...@verisign.com
<applewebdata://13890C55-AAE8-4BF3-A6CE-B4BA42740803/jgo...@verisign.com>

703-948-3271
12061 Bluemont Way
Reston, VA 20190

Verisign.com <http://verisigninc.com/>

On 4/26/23, 2:30 PM, "regext on behalf of Andrew Newton"
<regext-boun...@ietf.org <mailto:regext-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of
a...@hxr.us <mailto:a...@hxr.us>> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 9:27 AM Antoin Verschuren
<ietf=40antoin...@dmarc.ietf.org <mailto:40antoin...@dmarc.ietf.org>> wrote:

> Please indicate your support or no objection for the publication of this
> document by replying to this message on list (a simple “+1” is sufficient).

I'd like to see this published, but have one issue.

Perhaps this is in the document and I just didn't see it, but there
should be a clear statement that no redaction may create invalid RDAP
according to RFC 9083. Doing so is not the intent of the document, but
I'd rather that be stated clearly lest we have a number of very long
mailing list threads on the topic in a couple of years. Allowing the
creation of invalid RDAP would create havoc for clients.

Generally, most things in RDAP are optional. But there are a couple of
things here and there which are not. For example, 'eventDate' in
events is not optional. Neither is `objectClassName`.

Section 3 of RFC 9083 also lists formats for certain strings. For
example, `eventDate` must be an RFC3339 format. And `ldhName` in
domains must be a domain name.

Also, if a note was added somewhere that said "90% of the complexity
in this specification is because of JCard", it would not hurt my
feelings. :)

Finally, many thanks to the authors. This is a complicated topic.

-andy

<https://secure-web.cisco.com/1OybIRk2kA7yFpTXg3EYdtSNsk2vCbaz28utSJtwEIGlW5tIEnquC9lfvnGE5PYQL-3EJ958t_cMjFoZgwv_2q3GYuLl6nTmesdusciZvVvFCWi9ZTj6csFBEwKpdYSRD6t-SkpLUbSnSFsWzMoeIg9wkRHDpf7a5YMrKD6kKcH29VjVMZtetOTEXMlPmuHCKBtnjWTkH0O3xRxrVHybvIkvEwNk-8zgPfUhwCA0VyaBVGjlPW-EbCL_lE_r-pjB_kTQ2y7NXECWtxnrsRgW75MLF_vi-_LUR_8VDYampPIo/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ietf.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fregext>