Hi Patrick,

On Tue, 25 Apr 2023 18:41:26 -0500 Patrick Mevzek wrote:

> Two (+1) quick points on the content for draft version 4.
>
> Section 8.1 uses twice the same XML namespace for both cases. I suspect
> `:schema:` is missing in the second one.

Thanks, this is fixed.

> As for TTL values:
>     <restriction base="nonNegativeInteger">
>       <minInclusive value="1"/>
>       <maxInclusive value="4294967295"/>
>     </restriction>
>
> The highest bound should be instead 2147483647 seconds.

Also fixed.

> Alternatively, personally, I would prefer the value to be given as XML type
> of "duration".
> This allows to still pass it as seconds for those that prefer that, but also
> allows to pass it in more human friendly formats such as number of minutes,
> hours, days, etc.
> It does make however stating the maximum value possible more complicated I
> guess, so maybe not worth doing?

It looks like duration types support the minInclusive and maxInclusive
attributes, but there is an issue that a duration such as "P1M" can be between
2,419,200 seconds and 2,678,400 seconds, depending on when the duration is
converted into an integer. Durations are always relative to a particular date
and time and don't represent absolute values. Using an non-negative integer
seems safer to me.

> Also, not sure if a single TTL value for everything is enough.
> Are we sure that all registries will be fine using the same TTL for
> both NS/A/AAAA and DS?
> If I take `.com` right now, NS has 2 days of TTL, where DS only one day.

This is one of the open issues that I would welcome WG input on. Should we
allow multiple <ttl:secs/> elements, with an attribute containing a list of DNS
record types to disambiguate?

<ttl:infData>
    <ttl:secs for="NS">172800</ttl:secs>
    <ttl:secs for="DS">86400</ttl:secs>
    <ttl:secs for="A,AAAA">3600</ttl:secs>
</ttl:infData>

It's not inconceivable that some future extension to the DNS will allow
additional records to be published in parent zones for child zones, so can we
hard-code the list of record types, or allow any type?

G.