Pawel,

I agree that the protocol should not venture into policy decisions.  The draft
could add an alternate email that can be either an ASCII or an SMTPUTP8 along
with allowing the existing email to be an ASCII or an SMTUPUTF8.  With this,
the protocol can support the desired server policy with the ability to have an
alternate email attribute.  This is pretty much what was in -17 without a
transition period or the requirement to have an ASCII email, which is a policy
decision and not a protocol decision.

Thanks,

--

JG

James Gould
Fellow Engineer
jgo...@verisign.com
<applewebdata://13890C55-AAE8-4BF3-A6CE-B4BA42740803/jgo...@verisign.com>

703-948-3271
12061 Bluemont Way
Reston, VA 20190

Verisign.com <http://verisigninc.com/>

On 8/4/23, 1:29 PM, "regext on behalf of Pawel Kowalik"
<regext-boun...@ietf.org <mailto:regext-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of
kowa...@denic.de <mailto:kowa...@denic.de>> wrote:

Hi,

Reading the feedback from John Klensin again, the main problem seems to
be that only 1 address does not leave any room for policy choices by all
actors in the chain (mainly registries and registrars) whether to
support a "backup" all-ASCII address or not. This is a fair point.

Now, if we are at the point of adding a "backup" email address - what is
the difference between all-ASCII backup and just any backup? SMTPUTF8
address may be vulnerable to some compatibility issues due to transition
period, so can be just any other kind of mailbox due to other kind of
incompatibilities or issues.

On the practical side, the party trying to use the address with a
backup, may also define the handling as they see fit - either re-send
the message if SMTP transaction fails, or when non-delivery message
comes back, or use both addresses directly upfront. Again here - no
difference whether the cause of the failure is non-ASCII address or any
other issue.

In this context I would argument for support of more than one email
address on the protocol level, with no restriction and cross-relation if
it is all-ASCII or non-ASCII and let the policies then define how to use
it in a particular context.

The mention of transition period would not be needed in this case.

Kind Regards,

Pawel