[SAH] Thanks, George. I understand that "word of mouth", or "described in an
agreement", information exchange has worked in our current tcp/700-only
operating environment. What got me thinking is the possibility of a server
operator that supports multiple transports. Which one should a client choose?
Is one preferred over the other? A service discovery protocol would allow us to
answer those questions in-band. I recognize that the answers will generally
remain static, and out-of-band communication may suffice. Since we're now
giving serious consideration to additional transport mappings, though, we need
to challenge the status quo bias. I'd really like to understand if there are
environments in which clients and servers are more loosely coupled, too.

Scott