Hi Scott,

My apologies that this feedback comes after you've requested WGLC! I had been
meaning to review the document properly and got caught out. I have a couple of
minor points and one somewhat less minor.

Full disclosure to the WG: I was an occasional participant in the SSAC group
from which Scott's efforts arose. I did contribute something to the report but
the last I checked my minor contributions had been removed, so I have no skin
in this game :)

Section 3.1: the last paragraph describes how allowing host objects to exist
after deletion of their superordinate domain object invites hijacking. This is
correct, but it would also constitute orphan glue, which I think is worth
mentioning, perhaps with a reference to SSAC 048.

Section 3.2 discusses how servers that implicitly delete subordinate host
objects in response to requests to delete a domain objects can create a data
inconsistency condition. This is true, but in my experience from my time at
$DAYJOB[-1], where we did this, we never received any complaints from
registrars in all the time those complaints would have reached my desk (which
was a long time). I think the current text should stand, but I would suggest
adding that the potential impact of this inconsistency appears to be small.

Onto my less minor point.

Section 6.1 describes what the document considers to be the Best Current
Practice. However, Section 6.2 then lists two "Best Proposed Practices", with
no context on how those relate to the practice in the preceding section.

Are they "runners up"? Are they proposeed "Best Practices"? If a registry
implements the practices in 6.2.1 or 6.2.2, do they then not need to implement
6.2?

I would recommend adding some context here. If 6.2.1 and 6.2.2 are Best
Practices, they belong in 6.1. If they aren't, then their relationship to
what's in 6.1 needs some clarification.

Otherwise I think this document does a good job of explaining the issues and
outlining the solution(s) (best, slightly less best, or otherwise).

Cheers,

G.

> On 9 May 2024, at 15:56, Hollenbeck, Scott
> <shollenbeck=40verisign....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

Gavin Brown
Principal Engineer, Global Domains & Strategy

https://www.icann.org