Thank you Pawel for clearly stating your position.

Please confirm, are you physically present?  I currently understand that you’re 
not, so we may have to setup something ad hoc to include your participation.

Thanks,

Jim


On 14 Jul 2026, at 11:55, Pawel Kowalik wrote:

> Hi Chairs,
>
> I would also prefer to participate in the discussion. 2-4pm on Monday would 
> be possible.
>
> I have a clear view aligned with WG position from several meetings ago to 
> close draft-ietf-regext-rdap-extensions first.
> This draft shall give a clear guidance, how extensions shall be written and 
> what are the expectation of clients and servers with STD95-based RDAP 
> deployment - without any extensions.
>
> This includes a clear guidance as under what conditions the extension 
> identified MAY remain the same if an extension specification is being 
> updated, and what conditions determine that the identifier MUST change.
>
> The pivotal question remains, what the conditions are.
>
> A part of the question is when to consider a specification update as not back 
> compatible. I think here we have a good understanding, drafted in 
> draft-ietf-regext-rdap-extensions, what kind of changes we consider breaking 
> and which back compatible for clients operating pure STD95 protocol without 
> extensions.
>
> As to when the identifier MUST change, there seem to be 3 options on the 
> table, each with different degree of rigidity:
> 1) extension identifier MUST update on every specification change - IMHO too 
> restrictive, not really aligned with REST API approaches, burden for both 
> clients and servers in migration paths. Also not in line with spirit of 
> rfc9083 2.1.
> 2) extension identifier MUST update only on not back compatible specification 
> change  - less restrictive but coarse-grained. Not allowing space of other 
> mechanisms of signalling changes. Easy to implement for the client though.
> 3) extension identifier MUST update only on not back compatible specification 
> change, unless extension offers own signalling of compatibility within its 
> own extension identifier namespace. draft-ietf-regext-rdap-versioning MAY be 
> a solution of choice for all such extensions to set upon in a standardised 
> way. It shall remain open that there might be other methods.
>
> The called out "solution, offered by Pawel" was in fact the approach 2, 
> however I see the arguments about too coarse-grained versioning consequences 
> of it, therefore I can also agree to go with 3.
>
> The choices imho shall be taken regardless of existence or compatibility of 
> further drafts in the discussion, as draft-ietf-regext-rdap-extensions shall 
> lay down higher level principles that the other drafts in question shall not 
> gate.
>
> That being said I think we shall finalise draft-ietf-regext-rdap-extensions 
> with full focus not waiting for any of the drafts down the stream. Also limit 
> the influence of those drafts specific solutions in the discussion to 
> absolute minimum.
>
> To the other questions:
>
> - draft-ietf-regext-rdap-versioning and draft-ietf-regext-rdap-x-media-type 
> have both mechanisms for signalling of requested representation (content 
> negotiation). I still hold to my opinion that:
> a) 2 ways of signalling in "versioning" draft are not necessary and that we 
> shall have only one way described in one draft. "media type" draft is my 
> clear preference as using standard http content negotiation.
> b) "media type" shall foresee not only requesting extensions by a list of 
> ext. identifiers, but also their versions in opaque way - so that 
> "versioning" draft can fill in on one side, but other versioning mechanisms 
> can use same way. This is only useful if we go for option 2 or 3 from above. 
> More utility with 3.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Pawel
>
> On 14.07.26 14:43, Andy Newton wrote:
>> Hi Chairs,
>>
>> Regarding the question of what is needed:
>>
>> We need to go back to the agreement [1] made in a meeting at the Montreal 
>> IETF between the authors of these documents and interested parties. At that 
>> meeting, everyone agreed to a simple solution, offered by Pawel, that is 
>> compatible with how RDAP is deployed today.
>>
>> The crux of the current disagreement is compatibility with RDAP as it is 
>> deployed today. While the versioning draft has been a moving target -- now 
>> on its third redesign -- each iteration has NOT been compatible with 
>> currently deployed RDAP.
>>
>> Regarding logistics:
>>
>> I am available during those times though would prefer an evening meeting 
>> because IETF sessions do get moved around. Also, Pawel has been very 
>> involved in these discussions and played the part of mediator. It would be 
>> unfortunate if he could not be on equal footing in these discussions. Absent 
>> an immediate need to meet a deadline, I think a fast-follow, virtual interim 
>> meeting would serve us well.
>>
>> -andy, no hats
>>
>> [1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/regext/sN-ar484f9n5YgXkTauq7CE6xMk/
>>
>> On 7/13/26 11:43 AM, James Galvin wrote:
>>> To the principals listed below, please confirm if you wish to be present 
>>> for the discussion the Chairs are trying to organize.
>>>
>>> To everyone in the working group, the question the Chairs need to answer 
>>> is, “What is needed to move these documents forward?”  It may help to think 
>>> of this as a pre-working-group-last-call question.
>>>
>>> For anyone who has a question, concern, or a position regarding these 
>>> documents, please do send a note to the list with your statement.
>>>
>>> One email message per person, please.  Do not respond to each other.
>>>
>>> The Chairs will review all messages and frame the discussion to be had and 
>>> propose either a consensus or a specific question for consideration after 
>>> the IETF.  Again, the goal is to finalize these documents so we can quickly 
>>> move forward a number of other documents that are dependent on them.
>>>
>>>
>>> LOGISTICALLY, it seems that Wednesday morning is not going to work for our 
>>> ad hoc meeting.  Best bets are currently Monday Session III (2-4pm 
>>> timeslot) or in the evening on Monday or Tuesday.  It would be helpful if 
>>> the principals would indicate their availability in those times.
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks to all.  See you next week in person.
>>>
>>> Jorge, Antoin, Jim
>>>
>>>
>>> On 10 Jul 2026, at 18:06, James Galvin wrote:
>>>
>>>> The Chairs have received requests both on list and privately to please 
>>>> help facilitate finding a consensus as to how to proceed with these three 
>>>> documents.
>>>>
>>>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-extensions/
>>>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-x-media-type/
>>>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-versioning/
>>>>
>>>> It does seem that there is an impasse, which is unfortunate.  However, The 
>>>> Chairs remain ever hopeful that we will find a path forward.
>>>>
>>>> What we propose is to get the principals together while we are all present 
>>>> in Vienna.  The Chairs will prepare an agenda and review concerns and 
>>>> preferences among the principals.  The objective is for the Chairs to be 
>>>> able to identify the rough consensus, if not full consensus, in the room.
>>>>
>>>> The Chairs will provide a summary of the discussion to the list and assert 
>>>> the identified consensus for review by the working group.  we will be 
>>>> looking for objections from other working group members and, of course, 
>>>> ask that if you object you provide a technical explanation with new 
>>>> information to support it.
>>>>
>>>> The goal is to finalize these documents, or to indicate explicit next 
>>>> steps to be completed that will finalize these documents.  They have been 
>>>> on our milestone list for years and worse they are about two years overdue.
>>>>
>>>> The only meeting slot that we have available to do this is Wednesday 
>>>> morning, 22 July, in the first time slot of the day 9am-11am local time.  
>>>> Our AD has offered the IESG meeting room for this discussion and it is 
>>>> currently reserved for us.  Sorry folks, there is no remote participation 
>>>> available but we believe this will be okay as we will be reporting to the 
>>>> working group for the final decision.
>>>>
>>>> Although anyone is welcome to join, the principals the Chairs would like 
>>>> to be present for this discussion are as follows.
>>>>
>>>> Jim Gould
>>>> Tom Harrison
>>>> Paweł Kowalik
>>>> Mario Loffredo
>>>> Andy Newton
>>>> Jasdip Singh
>>>>
>>>> We should appreciate if those on that list would indicate if they are 
>>>> available for this discussion.  As long as we have a quorum, as determined 
>>>> at the discretion of the Chairs and the AD, we will have the discussion 
>>>> and report to the mailing list.
>>>>
>>>> If for some reason this meeting cannot happen, then the Chairs will 
>>>> organize an interim meeting in the weeks following the IETF.  Of course, 
>>>> we’d prefer not to do this so please do try to accommodate this meeting in 
>>>> your busy schedules.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks to all!
>>>>
>>>> Jorge, Antoin, and Jim
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> regext mailing list -- [email protected]
>>> To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
>> _______________________________________________
>> regext mailing list -- [email protected]
>> To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
> _______________________________________________
> regext mailing list -- [email protected]
> To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

_______________________________________________
regext mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to