On Sunday, June 17, 2001 07:42:12 PM +0200 Jens Benecke
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 07:23:34PM +0200, Dirk Mueller wrote:
>
>> > and also what is going to happened if i use the kernel nfsd with
>> > reiserfs, any loss of data ? or only slow operations ?
>> Both.
>
> When is this sort of thing going to happen? I have been using knfsd with
> ReiserFS for a number of months now and I haven't had any problems on that
> scale.
>
> What kind of errors / problems am I likely to encounter in 2.4.4?

The basic problem with reiserfs and knfsd is that once a reiserfs inode
goes out of cache, knfsd can't find it again later.  So, on machines with
very little memory pressure, it will appear to work.  Any significant load
will cause problems though.

What happens is that knfsd asks for a specific inode.  If it isn't in
cache, the kernel asks reiserfs to find the inode, but without enough
information for reiserfs to actually find it, so the in-core inode returned
is initialized with funcs that always return i/o errors.

This is important because the resulting bad inode is cached.  The next time
the local FS on the server asks for that file, it gets the cached inode,
leading to i/o errors on a perfectly good file.

-chris

-chris