On Saturday, June 30, 2001 09:06:16 PM -0300 Marcelo Tosatti
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was taking a look at reiserfs code on 2.4.5 and I found out something
> which may be hurting performance quite badly.
>
> There are quite a few places using get_hash_table() in the code without
> calling "touch_buffer()" for the (possibly) found buffer_head.
>
> The "touch_buffer(bh)" call will set the referenced bit on "bh->b_page",
> which is what informs the VM subsystem about the page usage.

Good point, I'll check this out.  Most of the calls in journal.c probably
don't need to touch the page, since they are really doing things with the
buffer head struct.

The calls in stree.c:prepare_for_delete_or_cut need to be removed, they are
looking for a buffer cache entry for file data (all int the page cache now).

fix_nodes.c seems to need the touch_buffer call the most.

-chris