Hi

Randall Craig wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a slow modem connection to the internet.  Today I was downloading
> a large iso file, which I accidently deleted during the ftp process.
>
> The ftp client continued to write until completion to the files node on
> reiserfs with SuSE 7.2.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can recover the file?

Do you remember the name of file?
If yes, you may want to try to pull out the file from a raw device.
(Unfortunately, there is no garantee that you will get removed file
untouched)

3.x.0k-pre9/debugreiserfs -n filename -S
/dev/device-where-you-downloaded-file-to

This should report something like:
There were found 1 names matching the pattern "filename"
and
There were 2 items found

It should also create a file .map. If it does you can do:

3.x.0k-pre9/debugreiserfs -r -a .map
/dev/device-where-you-downloaded-file-to

That should print a list of blocks the file consisted of.

Then you should write a script which will read all those blocks and write
them in order to a file. You have to create that file on a different device
so that blocks you will read are kept untouched.

> Past mails suggested using:
>
>         reiserfsck --scan-whole-partion --lost+found

--lost+found is an obsolete option. Currently reiserfsck puts files it
could not find names for into lost+found without need to specify
--lost+found.
scan-whole-partition should work, but as far as you remember file name -
I think it will be better to try the way I described.

> but I don't see those options in reiserfsprogs 3.x.0j

Thanks,
vs