Le 18-Oct-2001, Greg Ward écrivait :
>> just performance wise i think an unlink to a new
>> directory everytime a file is deleted will slow the fs down
>
> I would have thought intra-filesystem moves were pretty fast, but again
> I know nothing about FS internals.

Yes, moving files to a "trashbin folder" should be very fast (even
faster than a real unlink ?), and even if you pay the price of the
real unlink later (when flushing the trashbin folder), it should be
ok for "desktop usage"... reiserfs is really fast at unlinking files ;)

The only problem I can see, performance-wise, is that fragmentation
should increase a bit faster, because "virtually free" space (free
space + files in trashbin) is not coalesced like "really free" space
is; Just like when a filesystem is almost full, it makes the
allocator's job harder...

Time for some fragmentation benchmark ?

--
Linux blade.concept-micro.com 2.4.13-pre3 #1 mar oct 16 10:56:42 MEST 2001 i686 unknown
 17:21:56 up 3 days,  4:14,  7 users,  load average: 2.35, 2.59, 2.61