On Monday, October 15, 2001 12:35:01 AM +0200 Erik Tews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> I saw that there is a reiserfs-fix in 2.4.12-ac2. What kind of bug is
> that? I did not notice anybody here talking about a buffer-problem.

This is a bug that Vladimir found.  In the pure linus kernel, this code
works (non reiserfs specific).

lock_buffer(bh) ;
bh->b_end_io = end_buffer_io_async ;
submit_bh(bh) ;

In alan's kernel, end_buffer_io_async does a put_bh on the buffer head,
leading to errors about brelsing buffers already free, and general
corruption if you don't get_bh(bh) before calling submit_bh.  Linus kernels
used to work this way too, but the change hasn't been merged into -ac yet.

Anyway, somewhere during 2.4.10-ac we merged a change that used the linus
style async end io handlers, there were a few reports over the last few
weeks.

-chris