Oleg Drokin wrote:

>Hello!
>
>On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 04:59:59PM +0300, Hans Reiser wrote:
>
>>>Sure, because they have not so much money, BUT they are trying to get
>>>as much as possible for their money.
>>>If persented with choice to get 15Gb drive for $110 + advanced filesystem
>>>for
>>>it for $11 (10 % of the cost) or 30 Gb drive for $121, what would they
>>>choose?
>>>People I know would stick to 2nd offer ;) (and for used hardware price
>>>difference is even less)
>>>Now you may say that 10% of HW cost is a lot and you'd charge only 1% so
>>>that
>>>truely everyone can access the software. It above example 1% is $1.1 (or
>>>even
>>>$1.2 for bigger drive). Mouse can be bought for these money ;)
>>>My logic is that poor people are often way too careful to spend any extra
>>>money in addition to whatever they really need.
>>>
>>I think your example of twice the storage for 10% more in hardware cost
>>is misleading.
>>
>No. This was situation half a year ago.
>Here is current prices (from http://shop.antex.ru not the cheapest place):
>HDD 20,4 Gb Seagate U6 ST 320410A UDMA100, 5400rpm $81,00
>HDD 40,8 Gb Seagate U6 ST 340810A UDMA100, 5400rpm $94,00
>HDD 60 GB IBM IC35L060AVER07-0 UDMA100, 7200rpm $150,00
>
>Last example is so expensive because it is 7200 rpms, so similar 5400 rpms model
>would cost at least $20 less
>
>So my numbers are pretty accurate, I think.

Your numbers may be accurate, but they represent an anomaly.  Most
hardware features have a negative economy of scale.

>>Basing software costs on hardware costs means that poor people are asked
>>to pay $100 instead of $600 (assuming they by computers for 1/6th of the
>>
>So you mean charging percentage of whole PC cost, then it gets even worse.
>Consider that one can buy cheap PC for $500, if we speak 10% here, it means
>that one have a choice: to buy a bunch of software for $50, to buy
>256M more RAM (SDRAM for $32) + another 128M RAM for $19 (or something
>else) and get his box much faster and so on. Or to spend these money on
>better/bigger HDD.

Well, if you have a choice between 25% more hardware, or having some
good software on your computer, you should get the good software.
 Hardware is something you buy to run software.

>>cost of rich people's computers).  Sure they would rather pay nothing at
>>all, but that isn't fair to the wealthy that they should pay for everything.
>>
>Sure, it is not fair. But poors have their own arguments.
>Consider you have cheap box and $50 to spend, what'll you spend these money
>for? (taking in account that there is really free software, and your time
>cost next to nothing and you do not want to pirate stuff (which is a very wild
>assumption))

well, I for one would prefer framemaker and a good spreadsheet over more
hardware plus free linux software.  But of course framemaker costs $800,
and I don't know what a good spreadsheet costs nowadays.....

better to have good software than to have good hardware most of the time.

Hans