On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 04:15, W. Wilson Ho wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>       After I've run reiserfsck on my disk, I have a file with 0 permission:
>
> # ls -l
> 0---------   1 root     root          238 Dec 11 22:52 lk
>
> This file is not readable.  Adding "rw" permission to it does not
> make it readable again:
>
> # chmod a+rw lk
> # ls -l
> 0rw-rw-rw-   1 root     root          238 Dec 11 22:52 lk
> # cat lk
> #

>From filemode.c as referenced by ls on my system, here's the list of prefix
characters.  No '0' character.

/* Return a character indicating the type of file described by
   file mode BITS:
   'd' for directories
   'b' for block special files
   'c' for character special files
   'm' for multiplexor files
   'M' for an off-line (regular) file
   'l' for symbolic links
   's' for sockets
   'p' for fifos
   '-' for regular files
   '?' for any other file type.  */

What distribution do you use?  From my reading of the ls source I don't think
it's possible to cause a leading '0' on Debian (of course I could have missed
something, that source is painful to read).

What happens when you run "stat lk"?