Alexander G. M. Smith wrote:

>Raphael Bosshard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Wed, 02 Jan 2002 14:51:03 +0100:
>
>>What do you think about the filetype beeing just another
>>attribute? How difficult would it be to realize? Not so
>>difficult, in my oppinion, but I am most certainly wrong.
>>

>BeOS does do file types that way.  The values used are MIME types,
>so it's a lot more precise than file extensions (for example, type
>"text/html" is openable by both HTML specific programs and generic
>text editors).  But extensions and "magic" are used by a background
>daemon to determine the file type for data that doesn't already
>have a MIME type.  Incidentally, their attribute naming convention
>uses "BEOS:TYPE" to identify the file type attribute, since "BEOS:"
>is prepended to all OS specific attributes.  The attributes also
>have a simple datatype associated (integer-32, integer-64, float-32,
>double-64, plain string, MIME string, etc).  There's also an optional
>indexing system for finding files with particular attribute values
>very quickly, but that's a topic for another day.
>
>So, yes, it's a good idea particularly when the rest of the OS
>actually uses it.
>
>- Alex

I think I might be willing to do it in Reiser4, if you are willing to do
the work of creating a consensus that it should be noticed and set in
user land.

You would want contact Miguel, Martin, and Richard.  Others probably
also.  You should be willing to write 30 itty bitty patches to user land
things yourself.

Hans